Hi, I’m Joe. I’m an Advocacy Bid Writer and Service Designer committed to sharing what I know with the advocacy community through advocacyfunding.co.uk.
Unlike many bid writers I’ve also been a children’s advocate, a mental health advocate, advocacy manager, trainer and in-house bid writer. I understand and share the values and principles of independent advocacy. This means I can quickly get onto the ‘same page’ as the organisations I help and deliver what they need in a personalised way, without a lengthy ‘getting to know you’ process.
It also means that I understand advocacy. So when I write bids for advocacy organisations I’m writing from extensive professional experience. This helps me create bespoke bids that are authentic, well-informed and capture the essence of your organisation.
What can you expect from me?
If you choose to work with me you can expect that I’ll be open, fair and straight with you from Day 1.
You can also expect that I’ll bring a passion and a flair for creative solutions, combined with a steady, critical focus on achieving the outcomes you want.
Here’s the values I work from:
- My work should be delivered bespoke and to the depth you require.
- It should inspire your own ideas for your projects and services.
- You should always receive an honest assessment of all your options before you decide to commit your budget.
- My approach is outcome focussed. At the start of our partnership I will work with you to clarify the outcomes you want to achieve from our work together.
- My professional values are about respecting, protecting and championing people’s rights. You can expect that these values will run through all of my work with you.
- Where I use innovation to enhance outcomes, I will always try to leave a sustainable legacy.
I have 10 years experience of working in the advocacy sector, including eight years as an advocate and service manager and seven years as a bid writer and development strategist (I combined a lot of roles at the same time!). During that time I’ve helped raise close to £2,000,000 in grants and contracts for advocacy organisations like Action4Advocacy, CROA, VoiceAbility, Tros Gynnal, Advocacy in Somerset and others. Successful funders include several local authorities and PCTs, Big Lottery, Children in Need, Tudor Trust, Paul Hamlyn Foundation, Department of Health and Comic Relief.
I’ve also written tonnes of advocacy resources and toolkits, including the groundbreaking Headspace Toolkit (2005), Through the Maze (2008), National Advocacy Qualification Training Materials (2008 + 2010), CROA’s National Conference Handbook (2010). Other people I’ve carried provided advocacy consultancy to include Care Standards Improvement Partnership, the Department of Health, Birmingham Children’s Trust, YoungMinds and Kate Mercer Training.
Now I’m turning all my experience and knowledge to even better use by sharing it here. I hope you find it useful and that it helps you to grow your advocacy organisation.
If you want to get notified any time I publish something new here then sign up for our Better Tenders email course and you’ll also get every new article and tutorial delivered direct to your inbox. You can sign up for it here.